Sometimes I wonder if the business of living one’s best life is reserved for the under 10s. My children have it good. Great, in fact. While they seem to enjoy seemingly boundless levels of energy, decent diets and an array of healthy, fun activities, I’m left feeling constantly lethargic, with little time for myself, somehow managing to wake up more knackered than I was when I went to sleep. Anyone else?
- The weather: I live in Galway where it rains up to 90% more than it does on the east coast. (It’s true – I just googled it.)
- Time limitations: I’m currently a full-time stay-at-home parent, a job to which The Organisation of Working Time Act does not apply. I’m therefore afforded none of the following; rest periods; reasonable working hours; annual leave.
- Irregular sleep: 7.5 years of interrupted sleep and counting.
- Energy deficit: refer to #2 & #3 above.
- Recent unfortunate injury: Broken bones. Enough said. Poor me.
IN THE ZONE
The timing was impeccable, really.
I’ve long since learned not to bother with new year’s resolutions, but there’s unarguably no better time to make some lifestyle adjustments. While Christmas involved much delicious bending and breaking of rules and routine, like most, I’m over the indulgence, the laziness and the obstinate jean buttons that just won’t close. The residual signs of the excesses of the season serve as a natural motivator.
Also, the bones have healed. Time’s up.
WHAT IS HEALTHCOACH BY LAYA HEALTHCARE?
Here’s the gist:
- First, you’ll complete an online insights questionnaire about your lifestyle, your habits, your goals and what you perceive to be the barriers to success.
- You’ll have a face-to-face meeting with your designated, altogether unintimidating, qualified Healthcoach, who’ll gently put an end to your denial. A series of non-diagnostic health assessments including blood pressure, body composition, lung function and fitness tests will provide you and your Healthcoach with an overall picture of your health.
- With these insights, your Healthcoach will tailor a personalised health programme specially designed to help and support you achieve your goal, whether it’s losing weight, getting fit, or improving your mental wellbeing.
- Via a dedicated app, you’ll access your plan, which incorporates fitness challenges and videos, meal plans, recipes and goal-specific podcasts, articles and resources. Healthcoach continuously monitors and tracks members’ performance, while providing mentoring, motivation and rewards along the way.
Does size matter?
For me, personally it doesn’t. Not anymore. Or at least not to the extent that it once did.
My body has been good to me. It’s grown, carried and delivered three people. Evidence of the toll taken by the business of baby making will probably always exist and truthfully I’m OK with that. I’m less concerned with numbers on the scales or my dress size and more concerned with feeling happy and being comfortable in my own skin. And perhaps my clothes! Chris understood that.
They’re simple but achievable with some small changes, a more mindful attitude to food and a more active lifestyle:
- To have more energy.
- To get more sleep.
- To make more time for me.
- To slowly increase my fitness level.
- To reduce my body fat percentage and visceral fat levels and increase muscle mass.
- To increase my hydration levels.
THE WAY FORWARD
But I Won’t Do That
Deprivation and excessive restriction do not spark joy, nor do they make for sustainable changes. ‘Dieting’ is not something I’m interested in, because for me, historically, it hasn’t delivered long term results. There’s got to be balance. There can be no banning of food groups. Or chocolate. Or red wine. Moderation is where it’s at!
In the interest of keeping my goals SMART, I hereby declare my unwillingness to engage in any of the following forms of extreme behaviour:
I’ll pop back next month with a blog update. In the meantime, if you’re interested in following along or finding out more about the specifics of my personal plan, you can keep up to date on Instagram and Facebook. If you’re an existing laya healthcare customer or you want to find out more about the Healthcoach service, check out layahealthcare/healthcoach.
If you’ve any questions about my programme, feel free to get in touch or drop a comment below. If you’ve taken healthier steps in the right direction and you’d like to share your tips in the comments, I’d LOVE if you did! I’ll take all the inspiration I can get!
Disclosure: This is a collaborative post with laya healthcare. To find out more about what this means and how I work with brands, check out my disclosure page.