APPY KIDS, HAPPY PARENTS?
WHAT IS KIDLOLAND?
It’s an award winning app designed for preschoolers with 1000+ interactive nursery rhymes, songs, stories, activities and games. It has a ‘complete phonics section with songs and activities to help kids take their first steps towards reading’ and activities that ‘help develop a child’s pre-math skills, sequencing skills and problem-solving skills’ as well as helping ‘develop their imagination & creativity.’ Sounds good, right?
From what I had heard of Kidloland, I understood it to be fun and educational. Any review I read was favourable, as is this one. We were largely impressed with the array of games, songs and stories available. I couldn’t possibly go through everything that this app has to offer – there’s just too much. While the app is aimed at under fives, the six-year-old had some fun with it too. Of course the toddler wanted in on the action and loved the nursery rhymes and songs.
WHAT WE LIKED
- You can download content so that it’s available to use offline.
- New Content is added every month – we all know how fickle the under fives can be. Crisis averted.
- No ads. Phew.
- No in-app purchases. Praise the Lord.
OUR FAVOURITE KIDLOLAND FEATURES
- Games: Popping Time, Chomping Monsters and Surprises were three games that my kids kept going back to and chuckled their way through.
- Colouring Time: This was a massive hit with the four-year-old. She’s loves to colour and really enjoyed being able to tap her way to a masterpiece.
- Phonics games & songs: These were perfect for the four-year-old who’s beginning to work with letters at Montessori.
- Stories: I know there’s obviously no substitute for reading to your own kids but the stories section was a nice addition – there’s a story topic to suit everyone. I also liked the read for me or read by myself options.
- My Daily Routine: Mealtime, bath time & brushing time are covered, among others. What parent doesn’t like these routines to be reinforced. Instructions of any sort usually pack more of punch when they don’t come directly from me!
- Careers and Places Around Us: The four-year old loved learning about professions and places with these fun matching games and songs. From a vocab perspective, these two activities were fantastic.
- Waiting for individual activities to download was frustrating, albeit unavoidable.
- If you want to use it on an Android device & an iPhone, you’ll have to buy it twice.
- The cheesy music and the voice-over might drive you mad if you can’t manage to tune it out. But it’s no worse than Chase or Daddy Pig. Six of one…
WHO WILL LOVE IT?
The four-year-old was happy to lose herself in it. She could easily navigate around and managed to get where she wanted to be without much input from us. While some of the features are clearly designed for toddlers, I’d personally rather keep our littlest one away from apps and technology (and my expensive iPad) for little while longer. The six-year-old enjoyed playing with it but in reality, he’s a little to old.
VALUE FOR MONEY?
While the app itself is free to download and there are some songs and activities available for free, to unlock the full complement of features a subscription is required. The pricing is as follows: €4.99/£3.99 for one month, €24.99/£18.99 for six months and €39.99/£29.99 for a year. There is also a free 7 day trial option which will give access to the entire app.
So, is Kidloland worth your hard-earned cash? Yes, I think it is – if you have a three or four-year-old. All in all, Kidloland is a great app. Perfect for long journeys & rainy days, it’s a nifty piece of ammunition to have in your parenting tool-kit. We managed to survive a wet mid-term break, trips to multiple kitchen showrooms, a cross-country car journey and an overnight stay in a hotel with the help of Kidloland. We’ve had it on the go for a fortnight and one of the two older kids has used it at least every other day. The iPad will be coming on holidays with us in the summer and I’m pretty sure that Kidloland will buy us some peace on the plane journey.
The very nice people at Kidloland are offering a three-month subscription to not one, not two but three Shinners & the Brood readers. Yay!
ENTER TO WIN
You can enter in a number of ways via the form below. It’s fairly self-explanatory but if you have any bother, get in touch. Good Luck!
Competition Terms & Conditions:
- The closing date is 11:59 pm on Sunday, March 12th, 2017.
- The winners will be notified via email on the 13th March.
- The prize is a 3 month subscription to Kidloland. No cash alternative will be offered.
- The competition is open to UK and ROI entrants only.
- The winners will be chosen at random using Rafflecopter.
- The winner must respond within 30 days of receiving the email to claim their prize.
- Provision of the prize is the reponsibility of Kidloland.
The competition is not affiliated with Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.